On Monday, July 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari wrote:

> Hi Amandeep,
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I forgot to add that all the addresses are valid at the same time.
> There is no orders int the addresses. They are all active addresses at
> the same time. If one is not valid any more, it's removed. If there is
> a new one, it's added to the list, not replacing any other. So it's
> not "the last address", but I have to consider all the addresses when
> I will process them.
>
> Regarding adding the address count in the first CF, don't ask me why I
> have put in in 'a'. I have no clue why I did not tought about adding
> it to 'b' directly. I agree that it's useless to have it in 'a'.
>
> The idea of the hash as a column name was just to have something to
> put there. It's like the '1' in the second solution. A random number
> will do the same thing.
>
> I'm accessing the data in 2 ways.
> 1) I acces the person information to update them or retreive all of
> them to display them
> 2) I access only the address the compute some statistiques about it.
> Which mean usually I read ALL the address for one person and not just
> one address at a time.

So, that means that the addresses are accessed independently of the other
information and you always access all the addresses together? Or does that mean
that the addresses are accessed along with the other information to display or
retrieve and they are also accessed separately for the stats calculation?

You could consider the following ideas:

1. Store everything in 'a' and let all addresses go into the column
'a:address'. Increase the versions to N, where N is the max number of addresses
you want to store for any user.

OR

2. Store addresses in an entirely different table with the rowkey being
user+address. The column qualifier and cell value could be just a simple 1 for
the sake of having something there. When you want to get all addresses for a
user, you just scan from start key 'user' to end key 'user+1'.

I'm not a fan of the first schema option that you outlined earlier because of
the complexity involved in the client code. That approach works with relational
databases where you have the ability to do transactions. In the HBase world,
not so much.