Not really a good idea or anything new.
Essentially a full table scan where you're doing a closer inspection on the key
to see if it matches your search regex, before actually fetching the entire row
and returning it.

Secondary indexes are pretty straight forward.
You have your primary key and then your value.
Secondary index has a table where the key be one of your values from the main
base table, and then the value is the key from the base table.

So if your main key is 12345, and you store {'Fred', 'Cleveland', 'Ohio'}  ==
{Name, City, State}

You could create an index on State where you store 'Ohio' as the key, and a
column value of 12345.

Then if you search the second table on a row with the key 'Ohio', you'll get
all the rows where there is a record in the base table. In this example. a row
with the key '12345' ...

HTH