Chalcy,

  Glad to have you aboard. One thing to look at is your max map and reduce
slots that you are currently allowing. Typically, we look at the CPU
architecture and say if it is not HT(hyperthreaded) then it is a 1:1, if it
is using HT 1:1.5. Dual quad core without HT you would be able to use 8
total MR slots, but since you have HBase you should give your self a couple
slots. This means only using 6 MR slots. Dual quad core with HT you would
have 16 logical cores, you could use 12 MR slots, but since you have HBase
you want to leave a couple cores. This means only using 9 or 10 slots for
MR. This can help with some of the pressure from using MR/hive/pig on the
same cluster.

  As for separating MR and HBase. You could break down your processes so
that TT run on some nodes and RS run on others, but typically people will
setup two separate clusters.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Chalcy Raja <chalcy.r...@careerbuilder.com

--
Kevin O'Dell