I hope i understood what you are asking is this . If not then pardon me :)
from the hadoop developer handbook few lines

The*Partitioner* class determines which partition a given (key, value) pair
will go to. The default partitioner computes a hash value for the key and
assigns the partition based on this result. It garantees that all the
records mapping to one key go to same reducer

You can write your custom partitioner as well
here is the link :
http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module5.html#partitioning

--
Nitin Pawar