That's HDFS.

When a file is currently written, the size is not known, as the write is in
progress. So the namenode reports a size of zero (more exactly, it does not
take into account the hdfs block beeing written when it calculates the
size). When you read, you go to the datanode owning the data, so you see
the real content as it is at the time of reading.

btw, why do you want to read the HLog?