I think you can take a look at the
http://hbase.apache.org/book/regions.arch.html, it describes the data
storage hierarchy of HBase.  Due to the statement of Lars "stems from the
fact that HBase flushes by region (which means all stores of that region
are flushed)", you can think the limitations of column-families like this
way. If the size of the region is fixed, the more column-families you
create, the less space you can get for each column-family. As the flush
operation is based on region, if one column-family research its size
threshold even if the other column-families are empty, the flush operations
will be triggered. Roughly speaking, the more column-families you create,
the more I/O cost you will get. I think if the flush is based on
column-family rather than region, maybe we can release this limitation.