I guess my thought is that it'd be nice to minimize dependency on ZK,
and eventually remove it all together.  It just adds too much
deployment complexity, and code complexity -- about 10000 lines of
code.

I do like the notion of HBase self-hosting it's own performance data,
it's what Oracle and other databases do.  Ganglia is annoying to
install, and often isnt.