For #2, region.getClosestRowBefore() calls store.getRowKeyAtOrBefore(row)

Take a look at HStore#getRowKeyAtOrBefore() (around line 1619):

      Iterator<StoreFile> sfIterator = this.storeEngine
.getStoreFileManager()

          .getCandidateFilesForRowKeyBefore(state.getTargetKey());

      while (sfIterator.hasNext()) {

        StoreFile sf = sfIterator.next();

        sfIterator.remove(); // Remove sf from iterator.

        boolean haveNewCandidate = rowAtOrBeforeFromStoreFile(sf, state);

In short, I/O is likely in this code path.