> I think the final issue with hadoop-common (re: unimplemented sync for local
filesystems) is the one showstopper for us.

Although the unnecessary overhead would be significant, you could run a
stripped down HDFS stack on the VM. Give the NameNode, SecondaryNameNode,
and DataNode 1GB of heap only (so this sacrifices 3GB of RAM), configure
replication to default to 1, enable short-circuit reads for direct file
access during reads, and enable sync-behind-write on the DataNode. If using
EXT3 or 4 mount with dirsync. (Or use XFS.) This is about as good as you'll
be able to do until that Hadoop JIRA is addressed. It could get you over
the hump. I do this sort of thing for testing the full HDFS+HBase stack
when I'm unable to get my hands on a cluster.