From: Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)
Subject: Re: write availability

Esteban,

If I understood correctly what you said:

> "For the failure mode you mention if all DNs go down (not the NN) clients
> will be blocked waiting for the acknowledge of a write to the DNs and after
> few retries the RS will consider there was a failure writing to the WAL, the
> RS will attempt to roll the WAL for a last time and if fails at this point
> the RS will consider this as a fatal condition and it will shutdown it self.
> At this point the client probably ran out of retries and will throw an
> exception to the application."

If this scenario happens, when will my application be available to accept
writes for that region again? When I do some manual intervention on the server?

For example: support I split data by user ids, so each user is stored in a
different region. In the scenario above, my application (and also the HBase
cluster) would be working for some users and wouldn't be working for users
whose user id is in a "down region" (a region where all corresponding DNs are
down, considering 1 DN per RS). Is this right?

-Marcelo.

From: este...@cloudera.com

Hello Marcelo,

HBase has strong durability guarantees to avoid data loss. When a write arrives
to a RegionServer data will be persisted into a Write-Ahead-Log (on HDFS) and
temporarily in the RegionServer memory until the data from this memory store is
flushed (also to HDFS).

For the point of view of a client that is writing to HBase, if it  receives a
response for a successful write operation (put, delete, append, increment) then
we can guarantee that data was correctly persisted to HDFS in the WAL and in
case of a catastrophic failure of a RegionServer we will be able to recover as
others have mentioned.

For the failure mode you mention if all DNs go down (not the NN) clients will
be blocked waiting for the acknowledge of a write to the DNs and after few
retries the RS will consider there was a failure writing to the WAL, the RS
will attempt to roll the WAL for a last time and if fails at this point the RS
will consider this as a fatal condition and it will shutdown it self. At this
point the client probably ran out of retries and will throw an exception to the
application.

If a single DN can recover before any of the RSs goes down, the writes will
recover and the client will get the acknowledge that data has been persisted to
HDFS (even with a single DN at this point), during this period the RS logs will
warn that data is getting persisted with a lower number of replicas and data
could be at risk.

If you are further interested in the write path in HBase there is a really good
blog post from Jimmy Xiang about this topic:
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2012/06/hbase-write-path

best,
esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Marcelo Valle (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)