Yes, don’t use a salt. Salt implies that your seed is orthogonal (read random)
to the base table row key.
You’re better off using a truncated hash (md5 is fastest) so that at least you
can use a single get().

Common?

Only if your row key is mostly sequential.

Note that even with bucketing, you will still end up with regions only 1/2 full
with the only exception being the last region.

> On May 1, 2015, at 11:09 AM, jeremy p <athomewithagroove...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've been out of the HBase world for a while, and I'm just now jumping back
> in.
>
> As of HBase .94, it was still common to take a hash of your RowKey and use
> that to "salt" the beginning of your RowKey to obtain an even distribution
> among your region servers.  Is this still a common practice, or is there a
> better way to do this in HBase 1.0?
>
> --Jeremy

The opinions expressed here are mine, while they may reflect a cognitive
thought, that is purely accidental.
Use at your own risk.
Michael Segel
michael_segel (AT) hotmail.com