On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 8:28 AM, Akmal Abbasov <akmal.abba...@icloud.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm testing HBase to choose the right hardware configurations for a heavy
> write use case. I'm testing using YCSB.

The cluster consist of 2 masters, and 5 regionservers(4 cores, 14GB ram,
> 4x512GB SSD).
> I've created a new table in HBase, presplit it to 50 regions. I'm running
> 3 clients each running 50 threads, to insert data.

What happens if you double the number of clients?

> I'm using the default HBase settings.

Our defaults are intentionally conservative set for broad appeal. For now,
there is an expectation that configs are adjusted to suit the loadings.

> After running few tests, I can see that the cluster is underutilized, in
> fact memory usage is around 30%.

Which memory? Java heap? Or the systems' memory? If java heap, we make
broad allocations for cache and write-time memstore. You might allocate
more to memstore if you are write-centric (Later versions of hbase try to
do this ergonomically).

> The main problem I see for now is compactions, compactionQueueLength is
> growing very fast, and compaction process is always running.

Compactions running all the time while you are under write load is
'normal'. How are you seeing this manifest as a 'problem'?

Show us  a bit of your log from a regionserver and take a few thread dumps
while it is running so we can make suggestion.

> I found that there are hbase.regionserver.thread.compaction.small and
> hbase.regionserver.thread.compaction.large
> but couldn't find information regarding their default values.

Yes. This stuff is missing from the doc, in code only. Lets figure if they
need adjustment first.

You've browsed this section http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#performance ?

> Thank you.
>

> I'm using HBase 0.98.7 and regionserver heap size is 7GB.

Can you use a later HBase? 1.2.0 just got released.
St.Ack