Here is related code from CellProtos.java :

      public Builder
setCellType(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.protobuf.generated.CellProtos.CellType
value) {
        if (value == null) {
          throw new NullPointerException();

This means CellType.valueOf() returned null for the Cell.

Which release of hbase are you using ?

You didn't encounter any problem accessing <table_name> in other scenarios ?

Cheers