HBase/HTrace integration once worked but has long since rotted.
Refactorings of internals without proper respect for trace connections is
the main culprit. Updates in htrace and hdfs that need attention
reconnecting spans, etc., is another. On top of this, zipkin project has
seen a burst of effort of late that would seem to offer much promise if
someone of us spent some time rejiggering how HTrace and Zipkin relate.

I would not waste any time on trying to setup HTrace for HBase at least
until after HBASE-14451 goes in, an issue that has been put aside with a
while now. Sorry if you've burned time on this to date.

Yours,
St.Ack