Thanks, I was aware of the issue with WALs but had not considered bulkload and
archive.

     Roberta

-----Original Message-----
From: Esteban Gutierrez [mailto:este...@cloudera.com]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 10:50 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: HBase namespaces and encryption

Hello Roberta,

I think there are too many caveats of using an encryption zone per
namespace. Specially, bulkloading and the archive will fail; another
problem is about the security guarantees that you are offering to your
tenants, the WALs and oldWALs directories will have to be under the same
encryption zone, not to mention that data from multiple tenants can
potentially be written under the same WAL file and that could difficult to
justify to your tenants. The simplest approach I can think of is to have 3
different HBase clusters and each one pointing to its own encryption zone
on a different hbase.rootdir. I will be necessary to configure
hbase.tmp.dir and zookeeper.znode.parent, port numbers, etc. but I think is
much more simple than specifying an encryption zone per namespace.

thanks!
esteban.

--
Cloudera, Inc.