Hi All,

I have setup HBase replication between two clusters containing 25
nodes each. The inter-data center network link has a capacity of 500
MBPS.

I have been running some tests to understand the speed of replication.
I am observing that the replication speed does not go more than 5
MBPS.

On reading up regarding the same, I understand that the speed of data
transfer depends on OS level TCP socket read and write buffer sizes.

Below are the OS level parameters that I see for the socket size

# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem
4096 (min)   16384 (default)  4194304 (max)

# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem
4096 (min)    87380 (default)  6291456 (max)

The default write buffer size for sockets is 16KB and the read buffer
size is around 85KB.

There are suggestions [1] to set higher values for the default read
and write buffers to fully utilize the link capacity.

But I am not sure how to influence HBase to use higher values for the
socket read/write buffers when it does replication.

Any thoughts from the community on the same?

Thanks
Sreeram

[1] http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/11/17/tcp_tuning.html