bq. range from ~2sec to ~2mints at the same time query hbase response time
shoots up

By the above I assume you have established correlation between the timing
of minor compaction and slow response.
Was there other activity from region server log which could affect response
time ?

BTW HBASE-18161 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18161> was
only integrated to branch-2 which has no release yet.

Which hbase release did the backport go to ?

Cheers