Hi Saad
               In your initial mail you mentioned that there are lots
of checkAndPut ops but on different rows. The failure in obtaining
locks (write lock as it is checkAndPut) means there is contention on
the same row key.  If that is the case , ya that is the 1st step
before BC reads and it make sense.

On the Q on why not caching the compacted file content, yes it is this
way. Even if cache on write is true. This is because some times the
compacted result file could be so large (what is major compaction) and
that will exhaust the BC if written. Also it might contain some data
which are very old.  There is a jira recently raised jira which
discuss abt this.  Pls see HBASE-20045

-Anoop-