Few important thingsto monitor from top of head

Compaction queue size, compaction size ( size of all files in compaction)
GC pause time, number gc (highly co rellated to compactions)
Ipc read write call size
Slow query logs
Number of failed regions from canary tests
Replication queue size

Its better to monitor these metrics at each region server level to detect
issues e.g overall cluster gc may be around average but all of the gc’s
could be happening in only one region server, its very difficult to find
these unless you track these metrics at each region server level.

-sudhir