Do you have access to master / region logs for when FAILED_OPEN state was
noticed ?

There should be some hint there as to why some region couldn't open.

The length of table DDL is related to number of regions the table has. But
the length should be less related to data amount.

Which version of hbase are you using ?

Thanks