On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Jeff Hammerbacher <ham...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Awesome! Huge +1.
>
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>
>> Howl is a table management system built to provide metadata and storage
>> management across data processing tools in Hadoop (Pig, Hive, MapReduce,
>> ...).  You can learn more details at http://wiki.apache.org/pig/Howl.  For
>> the last six months the code has been hosted at github.  The Howl team would
>> like to move the project into the Apache Incubator.  You can see the
>> proposal for the project at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HowlProposal.
>>
>> In order to be accepted as an Incubator project Howl needs a Sponsoring
>> project.  I propose that we, the Pig project, sponsor Howl.  By sponsoring
>> Howl we are saying that we believe it is a good fit for the ASF and that we
>> will assist the Howl project to succeed.  You can read full details of
>> sponsoring a project at
>> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Sponsor
>> .
>>
>> Our bylaws don't explicitly cover such a vote, but I think lazy majority
>> should be reasonable.  All votes are welcome, PMC member votes will be
>> binding.
>>
>> Clearly I'm +1.
>>
>> Alan.

I do think it is a great idea that hive/pig/ and map reduce share a
meta store. However I am not sure I agree with the approach. IMHO Howl
should be a hive sub project.

"The initial release of Howl will allow interoperability of data
between Pig, Map Reduce, and Hive"
I believe the "The initial release of Howl should support hive"
at this point hive should remove the /metastore code from inside hive
and depend on howl.

I say this because hive is very actively reworking the metastore right
now for security, a new type of views, and indexes. I feel if the
metastore branches from the hive as howl getting the two entities back
together will be difficult. Having 99% of the same code base shared
between hive and howl but not having compatibility between the two is
my fear.