Hi Dean,

I think using a Linux VM is the current path of least resistance for
Windows users who want to experiment with Hive and Hadoop. Cloudera has a
CentOS VM with CDH4.1 pre-installed and configured that can be downloaded
for free from here:

https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/SUPPORT/Cloudera%27s+Hadoop+Demo+VM+for+CDH4

More info here:
http://www.zdnet.com/hadoop-on-your-pc-clouderas-cdh4-virtual-machine-7000003096/