Sorry, just caught up with the last couple of day’s email and I feel that this
question
has already been answered fairly comprehensively. Apologies.

From: Peter Marron [mailto:peter.mar...@trilliumsoftware.com]
Sent: 04 July 2013 08:37
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: RE: Partition performance

Hi,

Just to check that I understand this problem, my reading suggests that the
overhead of
many partitions is currently unavoidable. Specifically this means that any
query on a table that has, let’s say, 10,000 partitions
will be significantly slower (than on un-partitioned table with the “same”
data) even if
the query explicitly specifies a single partition.
(I mean I _could_ actually do the experiments myself…)

Regards,