That's beside the point.  The question is, why can't I drop the table?  There
is no excuse for not dropping a table just because some serde can't be found.
It shouldn't operate that way at all.

Thanks.

On Jun 10, 2014, at 23:33 , Nitin Pawar wrote:

> if you have added a table with a serde definition
>
> then just keep the jar in local filesystem and then in hive console do
> add jar <full path to jar>;
>
> this should make your serde available to table and you should be able to drop
> the table then.
>
> I just tried above steps and it works for my json based tables.
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:24 AM, Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> I tried to create a table that would use a csv serde.  There were various
> problems with it, primarily in that I couldn't figure out how to specify the
> path to the serde (whether I indicate the serde location either locally or on
> HDFS) there were subsequent errors about not finding the serde, even though
> the paths were correct).
>
> So I decided to drop the table since it wasn't working...but the serde error
> that is causing these problems to begin with prevents me from dropping the
> table due to a serde-doesn't-exist error.  Yeah, duh, that's the problem in
> the first place.
>
> This is an acknowledged problem, as indicated here:
> ...but I don't understand from that page how to get around the problem.
> There is a lengthy discussion, but it's unclear how to actually drop the darn
> table.  In fact, that page suggests the problem is officially classified as
> "won't be fixed".
>
> Note, this problem also prevents me from renaming the table via "alter".
>
> I don't know what to do at this point.  Any ideas?

> Keith Wiley     kwi...@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com
> music.keithwiley.com
>
> "The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches
> me to suspect that my own is also."
>                                            --  Mark Twain
>

> --
> Nitin Pawar

Keith Wiley     kwi...@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com

"It's a fine line between meticulous and obsessive-compulsive and a slippery
rope between obsessive-compulsive and debilitatingly slow."
                                           --  Keith Wiley