> However reality is I just want it called 1 time which is during planning
>and if I flag is as deterministic this is exactly what happens so you can
>do this:

There was a new constant added in hive-1.2.0 named CURRENT_TIMESTAMP which
works the way most people want unix_timestamp() to work.

> AND article_meta.publish_timestamp > ((unix_timestamp() * 1000) - (1000
>* 60 * 60 * 24 * 2))

If if helps, I have a backport as a UDF on my github.

https://github.com/t3rmin4t0r/current-timestamp/blob/master/src/main/java/o
rg/notmysock/hive/udf/CurrentTimeStampUDF.java#L35

with that UDF, I expect it to constant fold

(to_unix_timestamp(current_timestamp()) * 1000)

into a single bigint.

Cheers,
Gopal