Hi Furcy,

Thanks for the info.

I ran the same job twice, killing it first time and starting again. Actually
your point about 5 min duration seems to be correct. my process basically
creates a new hive table with two additional columns and populate it from an
existing table hence the locks

Even if the job is killed “WAITING EXCLUSIVE” locks are still held on the new
table (see below) and that is the cause of the issue

Lock ID Database        Table   Partition       State   Type    Transaction ID
Last Hearbeat   Acquired At     User    Hostname

14031   asehadoop       t       NULL    WAITING EXCLUSIVE       NULL
1445586539232   NULL    hduser  rhes564

14029   asehadoop       t_staging       NULL    ACQUIRED        SHARED_READ
NULL    1445586247044   1445585940653   hduser  rhes564

14029   asehadoop       t       NULL    ACQUIRED        SHARED_READ     NULL
1445586247044   1445585940654   hduser  rhes564

14030   asehadoop       t       NULL    WAITING EXCLUSIVE       NULL
1445586471827   NULL    hduser  rhes564

I am not sure this is behaving like classic RDBMS like Sybase or MSSQL where
the rollback is happening after KILL command and the locks are held until
rollback is complete. Killing a process itself will not release the locks!

Regards,

Mich Talebzadeh

Sybase ASE 15 Gold Medal Award 2008

A Winning Strategy: Running the most Critical Financial Data on ASE 15

http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf

Author of the books "A Practitioner’s Guide to Upgrading to Sybase ASE 15",
ISBN 978-0-9563693-0-7.

co-author "Sybase Transact SQL Guidelines Best Practices", ISBN
978-0-9759693-0-4

Publications due shortly:

Complex Event Processing in Heterogeneous Environments, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-3-8

Oracle and Sybase, Concepts and Contrasts, ISBN: 978-0-9563693-1-4, volume one
out shortly

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com <http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com/>

NOTE: The information in this email is proprietary and confidential. This
message is for the designated recipient only, if you are not the intended
recipient, you should destroy it immediately. Any information in this message
shall not be understood as given or endorsed by Peridale Technology Ltd, its
subsidiaries or their employees, unless expressly so stated. It is the
responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is virus free,
therefore neither Peridale Ltd, its subsidiaries nor their employees accept any
responsibility.