Probably Bryan can try both Hive and Spark and decide which one better
works for him.

The fact is - lots of companies migrate from Hadoop/Hive to Spark

if you like writing ETL using Spark API the you can use map, reduceByKey,
groupByKeym, join, distinct, etc API
if you like using SQL then you can do it by running sqlContext.sq("select
....")
In addition to SQL you can also use DataFrame API.

Hive only allows you to use SQL

BTW, most of Hive UDFs are available in Spark
Plus Spark allows you to create UDF on fly right in your script, e.g.

sqlContext.udf.register("cube", (in: java.lang.Long) => in * in * in)

sqlContext.sql("select cube(4) c").show()

+---+
| c |
+---+
| 64|