ORC does not currently expose a primary key to the user, though we have talked of having it do that. As Mich says the indexing on ORC is oriented towards statistics that help the optimizer plan the query. This can be very important in split generation (determining which parts of the input will be read by which tasks) as well as on the fly input pruning (deciding not to read a section of the file because the stats show that no rows in that section will match a predicate). Either of these can help joins. But as there is not a user visible primary key there's no ability to rewrite the join as an index based join, which I think is what you were asking about in your original email.

Alan.

Philip Lee <mailto:philjj...@gmail.com>
February 1, 2016 at 7:27
Also,
when making ORC from CSV,
for indexing every key on each coulmn is made, or a primary on a table is made ?

If keys are made on each column in a table, accessing any column in some functions like filtering should be faster.

/*Hae Joon Lee*/

Now, in Germany,

M.S. Candidate, Interested in Distributed System, Iterative Processing

Dept. of Computer Science, Informatik in German, TUB

Technical University of Berlin

In Korea,

M.S. Candidate, Computer Architecture Laboratory

Dept. of Computer Science, KAIST

Rm# 4414 CS Dept. KAIST

373-1 Guseong-dong, Yuseong-gu, Daejon, South Korea (305-701)

Mobile) 49) 015-251-448-278 in Germany, no cellular in Korea

Philip Lee <mailto:philjj...@gmail.com>
February 1, 2016 at 7:21
Hello,

I experiment the performance of some systems between ORC and CSV file.
I read about ORC documentation on Hive website, but still curious of some things.

I know ORC format is faster on filtering or reading because it has indexing.
Has it advantage of joining two tables of ORC dataset as well?

Could you explain about it in detail?
When experimenting, it seems like it has some advantages of joining in some aspect, but not quite sure what characteristic of ORC make this happening rather than CSV.

Best,
Phil