Same flow - initialize() is called on the GenericUDF very soon after
construction, by the same methods that created the UDF.

Take a look at TypeCheckProcFactory or ExprNodeGenericFuncDesc

________________________________
From: Anirudh Paramshetti <anirudh2...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 9:24 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: GenericUDF

Thanks Jason for your inputs.

I believe you are talking about the number of instances created, which explains
why the constructor was called thrice. But I'm still unclear about the two
calls made to the initialize method, when I use the temporary function in the
query. Can you put some more light on the call flow to the initialize method.?

Regards,
Anirudh Paramshetti

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Jason Dere