Hi,

Hadoop core comes with HDFS, map-reduce and Yarn.

When you start the core you tend to start hdfs, yarn resource manager on
the resource manager node and yarn nodemanager on all slaves. You can also
start history server as an option

start-dfs.sh
## Start YARN daemons
## Start the resourcemanager daemon
## ONLY ON THE RESOURCEMANAGER NODE!
#
yarn-daemon.sh start resourcemanager
#
## Start the nodemanager daemon
# ON ALL SLAVES
#
yarn-daemon.sh start nodemanager
#
mr-jobhistory-daemon.sh start historyserver

Now yarn is the chosen resource manager.

In etc directory $HADOOP_HOME/etc/Hadoop  in file slaves you tell hdfs
where to start all the datanodes. For example I have a two-node cluster hdfs

cat slaves
rhes564
rhes5

Now if you just start hdfs it will still go and look at the slaves file to
see the datanodes, regardless of yarn it will start the namenode and
datanodes!

hduser@rhes564:: :/home/hduser/dba/bin> start-dfs.sh
16/06/01 12:08:23 WARN util.NativeCodeLoader: Unable to load native-hadoop
library for your platform... using builtin-java classes where applicable
Starting namenodes on [rhes564]

*rhes564: starting namenode, logging to
/home/hduser/hadoop-2.6.0/logs/hadoop-hduser-namenode-rhes564.outrhes564:
starting datanode, logging to
/home/hduser/hadoop-2.6.0/logs/hadoop-hduser-datanode-rhes564.outrhes5:
starting datanode, logging to
/home/hduser/hadoop-2.6.0/logs/hadoop-hduser-datanode-rhes5.out*

So you still have it.

In general you should deploy a resource manager. I do not use map-reduce I
use Spark as an execution engine and it does run on yarn-client mode in my
case.

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *