is the underlying table partitioned i.e.

'SELECT <a lot of columns> FROM `db`.`table` WHERE (year=2016 AND month=6
AND day=1 AND hour=10)'

and also what is the RS size it is expected.

JDBC on its own should work. Is this an ORC table?

What version of Hive are you using?

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *