Hi,

We have an external table where we need to manually fix a corrupted
location path for a few of its partitions. After successfully disabling
security, I run into the following error when doing an alter table:

Error: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution Error, return
code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to alter
partition. alter is not possible (state=08S01,code=1)

java.sql.SQLException: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Execution
Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to
alter partition. alter is not possible

at org.apache.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.execute(HiveStatement.java:296)

at org.apache.hive.beeline.Commands.execute(Commands.java:849)

at org.apache.hive.beeline.Commands.sql(Commands.java:714)

at org.apache.hive.beeline.BeeLine.dispatch(BeeLine.java:973)

at org.apache.hive.beeline.BeeLine.execute(BeeLine.java:813)

at org.apache.hive.beeline.BeeLine.begin(BeeLine.java:771)

at org.apache.hive.beeline.BeeLine.mainWithInputRedirection(
BeeLine.java:484)

at org.apache.hive.beeline.BeeLine.main(BeeLine.java:467)

NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)

DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:221)

Altering works fine in a test table in our dev env. The logs here aren't
too helpful. From reading the source code, there's some invalidObject(Not
missing partition, it would throw Partition does not exist). However, when
I do a describe on the partition, everything looks ok.

Please help!

Thanks,

Tom