I see that Hive doesn't seem to know about an Avro SerDe compressed table
(Hive 1.2.1) in 'describe extended' when determining compression with the
following:

SET hive.exec.compress.output=true;

SET avro.output.codec=snappy;

-- likely because you set those on INSERT and there isn't any DDL
references for Avro compression to be used.

Are there any performance implications for a query of a compressed Avro
table vs the other formats  with regard to the DDL of the table? To be
honest, I'm not sure Hive has compression knowledge to be used in the query
plan for other file formats so perhaps this question doesn't matter.

Thanks,

Kris