> Using Apache Hive 1.2.1, I get a NullPointerExcetion when performing a
> request through an ODBC driver.
> The request is just a simple LOAD DATA request:

Looks like the NPE is coming from the getResultMetaData() call, which returns
the schema of the rows returned.

LOAD is probably one of the few calls which have no schema for its result
returns.

> Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

File a JIRA (with odbc driver version + exact version of Hive), because looks
like the JDBC drivers don’t trigger this codepath - specifically.

        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.CLIService.getResultSetMetadata(CLIService.java:435)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.ThriftCLIService.GetResultSetMetadata(ThriftCLIService.java:658)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Processor$GetResultSetMetadata.getResult(TCLIService.java:1537)
        at
org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift.TCLIService$Processor$GetResultSetMetadata.getResult(TCLIService.java:1522

for a LOAD DATA return path.

Cheers,
Gopal