From: Pengcheng Xiong <pxi...@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:12 AM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: Num Rows computed by EXPLAIN - Hive

Did u run "analyze table emp compute statistics" before you run the explain?
thanks.

Pengcheng

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Vivek Sharma
<vlsha...@hotmail.com<mailto:vlsha...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Hive (just few days of learning).

I am an Oracle Performance Expert and am comparing the Explain feature of Hive
with Oracle Explain Plan command. I have an Internal Table with around 100 Rows
in it. However, the Explain command in Hive computes this as 33, which looks to
be huge discrepancy and cause a performance issues (for a larger table). Wanted
to know the internal calculations of Hive to come out with the NUM ROWS. The
output is pasted below (The table actually has 100 Rows) :

hive (vivek)> explain select country, empno from emp;
OK
Explain
STAGE DEPENDENCIES:
  Stage-0 is a root stage

STAGE PLANS:
  Stage: Stage-0
    Fetch Operator
      limit: -1
      Processor Tree:
        TableScan
          alias: emp
          Statistics: Num rows: 33 Data size: 3501 Basic stats: COMPLETE Column
stats: NONE
          Select Operator
            expressions: country (type: string), empno (type: int)
            outputColumnNames: _col0, _col1
            Statistics: Num rows: 33 Data size: 3501 Basic stats: COMPLETE
Column stats: NONE
            ListSink

Regards
Vivek