> My bad. Looks like the thrift server is cycling through various AMs it
> started when the thrift server was started. I think this is different from
> either Hive 2.0.1 or LLAP.

This has been roughly been possible since hive-1.0, if you follow any of the
Tez BI tuning guides over the last 4 releases [1].

The issue is more of a "User left Tableau open and went for lunch" capacity
issue, so there is no direct connectivity from the JDBC  connection -> Tez
session.

This is the default with LLAP and this specific tuning was off previously when
the same Hive was used for ETL, Reporting and BI interchangeably.

> Is there a setting I'm missing or is this expected behavior.

There's probably some value in removing the round-robin through the pool and
switching over to the "latest used first" to help a single user avoid confusion.

The queue in TezSessionPoolManager has to be a dequeue, to allow that - so that
a single user coming back from lunch has to only cold-start one AM before they
get fast queries on LLAP.

Cheers,
Gopal
[1] -