As I know using Hive on Hbase can only be done through Hive

Example

hive>  create external table MARKETDATAHBASE (key STRING, TICKER STRING,
TIMECREATED STRING, PRICE STRING)

    STORED BY 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.hbase.HBaseStorageHandler'WITH
SERDEPROPERTIES ("hbase.columns.mapping" =
":key,PRICE_INFO:TICKER,PRICE_INFO:TIMECREATED,PRICE_INFO:PRICE")

    TBLPROPERTIES ("hbase.table.name" = "MARKETDATAHBASE");

The problem here is that like most Hive external tables you are creating a
pointer to Hbase with Hive storage handler and there is very little
optimization that can be done.

In all probability you would be better off using Apache  Phoenix on top of
Hbase with Phoenix secondary indexes. Granted the SQL capability in Phoenix
may not be that good as Hive but should do for most purposes.

In Phoenix you can do:

CREATE TABLE MARKETDATAHBASE (PK VARCHAR PRIMARY KEY, PRICE_INFO.TICKER
VARCHAR, PRICE_INFO.TIMECREATED VARCHAR, PRICE_INFO.PRICE VARCHAR);

HTH,

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com