Thanks for your help.
I was trying to build Hive from GIT following
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/GettingStarted#GettingStarted-BuildingHivefromSource

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/GettingStarted#GettingStarted-BuildingHivefromSource>
But mvn clean package -Pdist
Fails with the following

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project hive-metastore: Could not resolve
dependencies for project org.apache.hive:hive-metastore:jar:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT:
Failure to find org.apache.hive:hive-common:jar:tests:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT in
https://repository.apache.org/snapshots was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of
apache.snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal
on project hive-metastore: Could not resolve dependencies for project
org.apache.hive:hive-metastore:jar:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find
org.apache.hive:hive-common:jar:tests:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT in
https://repository.apache.org/snapshots was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of
apache.snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleDependencyResolver.getDependencies(LifecycleDependencyResolver.java:221)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleDependencyResolver.resolveProjectDependencies(LifecycleDependencyResolver.java:127)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.ensureDependenciesAreResolved(MojoExecutor.java:245)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:199)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:153)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:145)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:116)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:80)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThreadedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:128)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:307)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:193)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:106)
        at
        at
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:289)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:229)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:415)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:356)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.DependencyResolutionException: Could not
resolve dependencies for project
org.apache.hive:hive-metastore:jar:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT: Failure to find
org.apache.hive:hive-common:jar:tests:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT in
https://repository.apache.org/snapshots was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of
apache.snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultProjectDependenciesResolver.resolve(DefaultProjectDependenciesResolver.java:211)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleDependencyResolver.getDependencies(LifecycleDependencyResolver.java:195)
        ... 23 more
Caused by: org.eclipse.aether.resolution.DependencyResolutionException: Failure
to find org.apache.hive:hive-common:jar:tests:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT in
https://repository.apache.org/snapshots was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of
apache.snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultRepositorySystem.resolveDependencies(DefaultRepositorySystem.java:384)
        at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultProjectDependenciesResolver.resolve(DefaultProjectDependenciesResolver.java:205)
        ... 24 more
Caused by: org.eclipse.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Failure
to find org.apache.hive:hive-common:jar:tests:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT in
https://repository.apache.org/snapshots was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of
apache.snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:444)
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifacts(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:246)
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultRepositorySystem.resolveDependencies(DefaultRepositorySystem.java:367)
        ... 25 more
Caused by: org.eclipse.aether.transfer.ArtifactNotFoundException: Failure to
find org.apache.hive:hive-common:jar:tests:3.0.0-SNAPSHOT in
https://repository.apache.org/snapshots was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of
apache.snapshots has elapsed or updates are forced
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultUpdateCheckManager.newException(DefaultUpdateCheckManager.java:231)
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultUpdateCheckManager.checkArtifact(DefaultUpdateCheckManager.java:206)
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.gatherDownloads(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:585)
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.performDownloads(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:503)
        at
org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:421)
        ... 27 more
[ERROR]

Any suggestions?

Boris Lublinsky