"Hive 3.x branch has text vectorization and LLAP cache support for it, so
hopefully the only relevant concern about Text will be the storage costs
due to poor compression (& the lack of updates)."

I kept hearing about vectorization, but later found out it was going to
work if i used ORC. Litterally years have come and gone and we are talking
like 3.x is going to vectorize text. I get it that LazySimpleSerde is in
many ways the polar opposite of a batched approach that attempts to pull
down N thousand rows and process them 'in a batch'. Also get the dynamics
of the situation that people ultimately work on what they want etc etc.

Your going to laugh, but from my personal experience in a number of
environments from small to mid sized, I have actually just had the best
luck with gzip text files. When ORC was still a twinkle in someones eye I
was playing with the original RCFILES!

"The start of this thread is the exact opposite - trying to suggest ORC is
better for storage & wanting to use it."

Right, I am not trying to say that any one format is better than the other
on a case by case. I'm happy that we have something better then RCFILE, but
really generally trying to avoid Hive becoming the quasi ORC Datastore
where some not negligible part of the features ONLY work with ORC.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Streaming+Data+Ingest

"Currently only ORC is supported for the format of the destination table."

Say what? I can do "INSERT INTO AVROTABLE AS SELECT * FROM JSON_TABLE ",
but somehow I can ONLY streaming ingest to a table if it is this one type.
If only a given features were supported by more than one format (what a
world it would be)!