EMR switched its default execution engine from MR to Tez in EMR 5.0.0.  The
current EMR is 5.8.0 and it still used Tez by default.

From: Jörn Franke [mailto:jornfra...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 12:47 PM
To: user@hive.apache.org
Subject: Re: EMR 5.8 & Hue/Hive Performance/Stability Specifics

Test it, because it really depends what you do. Since you use hue you seem to
be interested in interactive analysis, so the best is to use Tez and llap as a
hive engine. Make also sure that you use ORC or Parquet as a Hive storage
format. Leverage the in-build orc or parquet indexes by sorting data on the
filtering column. If possible partition the data.

I do not remember  at the moment if TEZ is included in the Hive package of EMR
or if you have to install an additional package.
However, given your current Hive version you should see for sure an improvement.

On 12. Sep 2017, at 18:41, Mr. Glenn Waldman