Hi,

> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.SemanticException: Failed to get a spark
> session: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: Failed to create
> spark client.

I get inexplicable errors with Hive-on-Spark unless I do a three step build.

Build Hive first, use that version to build Spark, use that Spark version to
rebuild Hive.

I have to do this to make it work because Spark contains Hive jars and Hive
contains Spark jars in the class-path.

And specifically I have to edit the pom.xml files, instead of passing in params
with -Dspark.version, because the installed pom files don't get replacements
from the build args.

Cheers,
Gopal