1) There seem to be some bugs and limitations in LB (e.g. incorrect cleanup -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-14886) and nobody appears to as much
as watch JIRAs ;) Does anyone actually use this stuff? Should we nuke it in
3.0, and by 3.0 I mean I’ll remove it from master in a few weeks? :)

2) I actually wonder, on top of the same SQL syntax, wouldn’t it be much easier
to add logic to partitioning to write skew values into partitions and non-skew
values into a new type of default partition? It won’t affect nearly as many low
level codepaths in obscure and unobvious ways, instead keeping all the logic in
metastore and split generation, and would integrate with Hive features like PPD
automatically.
Esp. if we are ok with the same limitations - e.g. if you add a new skew value
right now, I’m not sure what happens to the rows with that value already
sitting in the non-skew directories, but I don’t expect anything reasonable...