I did performance benchmark for roaring bitmaps when I added bloomfilters
(hyperloglog also shares the same bitset impl) to Orc and Hive.
I found that roaring bitmap is good at compression at the cost of speed. In a
JMH benchmark, observed around ~10x slowdown during insert and probe when using
roaring bitmap vs the raw bitset (long array without compression).
So it essentially boils down to speed vs space tradeoff.

Thanks
Prasanth

On Dec 11, 2017, at 3:58 PM, Nitin Vijayvargiya