> When LLAP Execution Mode is set to 'only' you can't have a macro and window
> function in the same select statement.

The "only" part isn't enforced for the simple select query, but is enforced for
the complex one (the PTF one).

> select col_1, col_2 from macro_bug where otrim(col_1) is not null;

That becomes a non-LLAP case, because macro_bug is so small - to trigger this
issue for that query, force it through the Llap decider.

set hive.fetch.task.conversion=none;

I know that's not entirely helpful here, but the point is that the macros are
not expanded in Hive at compile-time.

                  Filter Operator
                    predicate: otrim(col_1) is not null (type: boolean)

is what I get in the plan, which LLAP recognizes as a "temporary function".

The actual expansion is actually evaluated at runtime by GenericUDFMacro, not
expanded by the compiler.

If you're 100% sure the temporary function will work, you can take off the
safety rails and try with

set hive.llap.skip.compile.udf.check=true;

which will just let LLAP plan deserialization figure out if has the necessary
classes/fail (& not care about the "name" of the UDF).

Cheers,
Gopal