Hi Mich,

Contrary to what you said, I can confirm you that BQ is able to read ORC
files compressed with Snappy.
However, BQ requires to perform a loading operation from the ORC file on
Google Storage and convert it into a BQ table.

The main advantages I see with BQ is the guaranteed very high scalability
and low query latency without having to manage a Hadoop cluster yourself.

I would not say however, that you can simply plug your existing HQL queries
into BQ. All useful analytics functions are indeed there, but in many cases
they have a different name.
For instance, the equivalent of Hive's UDF *trunc* in BQ is *date_trunc.*

In my use case I use pyspark for complex transformations and use BQ as a
Warehouse to plug Power BI on it.
So for a fair comparison, I think you should compare BQ with Vertica,
Presto, Impala or Hive LLAP rather than just Hive.

Regards,

Furcy