hi Patrick,
If it sounds worth trying please do the same:

1. Create physical table from table 1. (with filter clause)
2. Create physical table from table 2. (with filter clause)
3. Create interim table 2_1 with the DISTINCT clause.
4. Create interim table 2_2 with the UNION clause.
5. Do an INSERT OVERWRITE into target table from 2_2 above.

This should help with isolating the error step.
Yes, increasing # mappers or memory helps - but I am usually averse to this
till I have exhausted all other options to be sure.

regards
Dev