Not a definitive answer, but my test result might help. I tested with
HiveServer2 1.2.2 and Metastore 2.3.6. Queries in the TPC-DS benchmark
(which only read data and never update) run okay. Creating new tables and
running HiveServer2 1.2 against Metastore 2.3 should be fine.

What I am not sure about is whether queries involving transactions work
okay when HiveServer2 1.2 connects to Metastore 2.3. Please note that I
have not tested with Hive 1.1. Perhaps those familiar with internals of
Metastore in this mailing list could give more accurate answers.

As a side note, HiveServer2 2.3 can connect to Metastore 3.1. However,
HiveServer2 1.2 seems to have a problem with connecting to Metastore 3.1.

Cheers,

--- gla