Hello Everyone!
I recently joined a project that has a Hive/Impala installation and we are
experience a significant number of query failures.  We are using an older
version of Hive, and unfortunately there's nothing iI can do about that,
but I'm wondering is how I can make Hive do better with queries to give our
users a better experience.

For example, I can execute a basic SELECT * query or SELECT <fields> query
without issues.

However, if I attempt to:
1.  Add filters
2.  Do a SELECT DISTINCT
3.  Perform basic aggregation

I get errors like this: Execution Error, return code 1 from
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.mr.MapRedTask.

Could someone point me to some good guides for querying Hive and/or
assisting my engineers in preventing these errors?