Group indices description can be found here [1]. Please, check if you read
docs for your ignite version, as configuration for ignite 1.x and 2.0 can
differs.
Group indices in Ignite a similar to composite or multi-column indixes in
databases.

Yes, it is work that way. Group index for (groupFiled, timestampField)
should be helpful.
You can try to use EXPLAIN comand to check if correct index is in use.

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/indexes#section-group-indexes

--
Best regards,
Andrey V. Mashenkov