With native persistence turned on data and index will be saved on disk, and with native persistence enabled it will be reloaded on startup when needed, but if you use some 3rd party persistence you may have some hickups if you try to use it together with native persistence (normally index is not on heap, it's stored of heap, but that is usually better).